Thread: SWG Legends Staff Spotlight: Neliev

1. #1 SWG Legends Staff Spotlight: Neliev 
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Staff Handle Name?

Neliev

What is your position on the Legends Staff?

I am one of three project administrators.

What do you do for the project SWG Legends?

I am mainly doing the overall project management tasks and coordination between the teams. Besides that I am responsible for the financial situation of the project.

How did you come to possess these skills, education or self taught?

I have started as a naval officer and developer in the defence industry, working in various positions for 13 years. After that I have switched to the testing department and to quality assurance. Since 2014 I am the head of the quality department in my company.
    Most of the skills you need to run a project like this and keep it all going is a broad mixture of education, experience and intuition.

Describe your typical day supporting Legends.

First thing in the morning is checking the staff channels on discord and reacting to any requests or situations, as all the american staff members normally are active during the hours I am asleep (GMT+1 based). After that it’s a short peek at the forum for interesting threads and checking the projects emails and pending activations.
    Later in the day I am checking the commits from the developers, asking questions regarding their changes and discussing any outstanding decisions or implementation tasks with some of them.
    During the whole day I am normally on discord via my mobile, reacting to various DMs from community members.
    In the evening I am preparing the staff meetings, keeping in touch with the Senate and with the staff members.
    Besides that there are the regular chats and meetings with the other Admins and the Team Leads to plan the direction where the project should evolve to within the next weeks or months.

What do you think your greatest contribution has been to Legends?

During the first years of the project, we had a very high fluctuation in the staff team. Looking back, I would say my greatest contribution is that I have been staying around trying to keep the core team together as well as possible, helping the project survive through all the staff break-ups, and dealing with the ups and downs from various Admins and Team Leads and splinter projects.

What would the other staff at Legends say to this; “Describe Neliev.”

I know that some of them (especially the newer ones) already said to me that I have been seen as the old fearsome man, sometimes kind of daunting to them. I think that some of them will say that I am “simply always here”. And some surely will describe me as the obstacle you sometimes need to pass.

What they actually said:

“I would describe Neliev as the type of person that is very passionate. His love for the project is unconditional and he wants nothing more for it to succeed. He is a big part of the project and it wouldn't be the same without him.” - RoarAsh

“Neliev is the best of both worlds: he's funny, caring, witty, and a nice person. And when needed, he can put his foot down, be serious, and get things done, especially if he's dealing with Admin tasks.” -Reign

"He's a ugly fat dwarf with a love for ewoks and porgs" - Rabiator

“Friendly, helpful, competent” - Sarduk

“The man has remarkable skills in keeping it all together.” - Atheenah

“Serious with an unexpected side of cheeky and amusing.” - Shrick

"Dedicated, mostly easy going, willing to listen to all sides of an argument and make a fair decision. Me and Daslo both saw his love for the project and his ability to get things done which is how he became an admin. He's able to put the good of the project first before personal feelings too, even if he disagrees with it" - Wildcardwilson

“How to best describe Neliev...The best way I can describe him is fair. He always looks at every situation from all angles, and tries to make the most informed decision he can on any subject. He strives to take the route that will benefit the community the most, and he will always err on the side of the player. He is often the voice of reason in most "heated arguments." If a player or a staff member has an issue, he will listen fully before offering advice or making a decision. He also relies on his leadership team for council, and tends to take a democratic approach to leadership. He ensures that we all work together to keep the server moving forward in the right direction.” - Lokee

“Hooboy. Well. I would say he’s easily the gold standard of professionalism. He’s always the adult in the room, but he also knows how to have a fun time. He has a presence about him that you just kind of can’t help but want to be around. He’s also an avid lover of Ewoks and Porgs, so that’s always nice!” - Walmahrt

“Neliev is an awesome guy. He keeps us all on track and very professional. Yet when it's time to be silly he can fall right in with us.” - Alky

What has been the most difficult thing you’ve done supporting Legends?

Actually there have been some “most difficult” things during all these years already. One was the breakup of the Chaos crew. That was three days of discussions with both sides on phone in taxis, hotels and airports while being on a business trip in France, barely keeping the project alive, together with the remaining staff members.
    For me personally, the most difficult thing was to let Daslo leave the project, whom I am calling a friend throughout all these months together on this project.

How often do you actually get to play SWG?

Difficult question. Overall I am playing perhaps once or maybe twice a week. Most of my spare time I am investing in the project is for staff business so there isn’t much time left to actually play the game.

What is your favorite thing to do in game?

Flying in space with my main simply doing some missions and quests, or reengineering and crafting with my shipwright.
    With more time I would love to start collecting as many badges as possible again, as I really like this “collection and achievement” aspect of the game.

When did you start playing SWG, and describe that experience?

I learned far too late about SWG, and started to play the game after the NGE has been hitting the community. For me that was quite ok as I never experienced the old versions of the game and thus wasn’t mad about the changes done to it.
    It took me one year to get my first character to level 90 (and it had been my only level 90 combat char as I never wanted to do that grind again!). Besides that I had every crafting class and always enjoyed keeping up a good business.
    During live I have been an officer in one of the larger German guilds on Gorath and later Europe-Chimaera.
    The most memorable experiences for me were finishing the Trials of Obi-Wan, taking down NK Necrosis and Malfosa solo for the first time and finally beating Lord Cyssc in space.

2. #2 Re: SWG Legends Staff Spotlight: Neliev 
    Former Senator

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your dedication to the project and your brutal honesty when needed!! Well done sir!!

3. #3 Re: SWG Legends Staff Spotlight: Neliev 
    Forum Elder

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome Spotlight, Always nice to get to know more about the staff, and couldn't of been a better person to have one done on!, Neliev always takes time to answer questions even when I'm sure he wishes I would stop bugging him LOL

4. #4 Re: SWG Legends Staff Spotlight: Neliev 
    Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incredible story to read. And You have my deepest thanks for your contribution on this project. Allowing me to play and reconnect with my squadron fellows and friends from Europe-Chimaera again is a daily gift.
    I was glad to see you around, but never expected such dedication to Legends ! Kuddo for all this !

*Sand Wasp hugs ans Salute*

5. #5 Re: SWG Legends Staff Spotlight: Neliev 
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks man.
    LordEatose's Outhouse - Canton, Corellia /way -899 38 1060
    Variety of different stuff I got up for sale.

6. #6 Re: SWG Legends Staff Spotlight: Neliev 
    Forum Advisor

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Mr. Neliev.

7. #7 Re: SWG Legends Staff Spotlight: Neliev 
    Forum Advisor

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe i love that "fearsome old man" thing - while i understand that's not actually the case, and it's been fueled by seeing your avatar pic, i've always had that image pop up in my head also

Myself i do like the thought of having some wise fearsome old dude holding a somewhat short leash on things to keep everything on track! Well, you and the staff are sure keeping things on track in a nice way anyway, so apparently it works just as well with a former naval officer and his crew! Thank you very much for your hard work and dedication, the result is brilliant!

And as always thank you all for a very nice Spotlight!
    Sentinels of New Dawn [Dawn] of Legends, originally from SWG Europe-Chimaera

New Dawn, Rori

M'ak Julos (GL), Sara'h Cene, Pillow McNugget, Pixie Petal & Byggare Bob

8. #8 Re: SWG Legends Staff Spotlight: Neliev 
    Community Contributor

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    /salute Neliev. Great job and thank you for your time, enthousiasm and huge effort to make Legends a great place to be part of!
    Mayor of Mos Quito - Tatooine