Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #1 *The Phantom Menace - 20th Anniversary* 
    Event Staff

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings, Legends,

20 years ago today, Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace was released in theaters. We want to take the time to celebrate the important milestone in Star Wars fandom.

This forum thread will be open until 10pm PST/12am CST/1am EST/6am BST/3pm ACT.

We invite all of you to take a minute and reflect back 20 years ago (if you can) or think about the first time you watched Episode I for the first time if you're younger. Share your favorite moments, favorite characters, or a personal memory of the experience.

Honoring 20 years of The Phantom Menace, we will be selecting 20 responses from this thread after it is closed and awarding 20 of you with a Token of Gratification. We can't wait to read through all of the responses and shared passion for Star Wars.

Please also include your IN GAME NAME of the character of which you would like to potentially receive your Token of Gratification.

May the force be with you,

SWG:Legends Staff
    Last edited by Laviz; 05-19-2019 at 12:58 PM.

2. #2 Re: *The Phantom Menace - 20th Anniversary* 
    Galactic Senator

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love all the movies!! But the scene in episode one when the doors open in the palace and Darth Maul pulled out his doubled bladed saber i about died!! But seeing R2D2 before he was the famous droid was my favorite part! R2D2 has to be my most loved character from the whole series, I mean he knows the whole truth and never beeps a word about it!! What a guy!!

3. #3 Re: *The Phantom Menace - 20th Anniversary* 
    Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 years ago me and two friends waited in line all day for the midnight showing. One of the best parts was getting to meet David Prowse in person.
    Game name Racihec

4. #4 Re: *The Phantom Menace - 20th Anniversary* 
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darth Maul
    That says it all really

Ingame name: Dodferatu

5. #5 Re: *The Phantom Menace - 20th Anniversary* 
    Player
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are quite a few things for me; the crazy excitement and buildup going into the movie, the epic battle scene between Darth Maul and Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon (with the pauses showing all their different personalities), and every scene just being perfection with regards to all the details. I could go on and on.

But for me the thing Iíll never forget is my mom driving 1.5 hours to pick me up to go see the 12:05AM showing on opening night. It was awesome to return to the Star Wars universe with her.

Tarvalon

6. #6 Re: *The Phantom Menace - 20th Anniversary* 
    Player
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember Pizza Hut, Taco Bell & KFC having a cool, connected promo for Episode I [cool cups & toys] with each representing a planet seen in Episode I. My favorite scenes are of locations in Theed and all over Naboo. Plus the variety of outfits that Queen Amidala and her handmaidens had. And the music of the parade of the ceremony celebrating the Naboo & Gungans' new alliance & friendship. And, of course, watching the movie on the largest screen in the Sun Theater [their upstairs theater room].

[character for the Token, if selected, named below]

Illuminiaria
    Last edited by SWJLAngel; 05-19-2019 at 02:26 PM.

7. #7 Re: *The Phantom Menace - 20th Anniversary* 
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meesa remember the movie like it was yesterday. I enjoyed the underwater chase scene the most. The fact that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon ignore Jar Jar the whole time is priceless. llkjj.jpg

8. #8 Re: *The Phantom Menace - 20th Anniversary* 
    Community Guide
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bitter sweat waiting all those years to watch another star Wars film only to feel that something was wrong and missing and after leaving the cinema hoping the second film would shed light on it. Out of the prequal trilogy's this was the only one i was able to share with my dad. The other two films i would be in Kosovo and Iraq and would have to wait a few months before even getting the opportunity to see them in the cinema. Also the Phantom menace was the last Star wars film i bought on Video.

The new sequels have been the best of the new films Rogue One in particular.

Phantom Menace feels like a lost opportunity and now Disney have it i doubt it would be improved on like Lucas would regularly try and do as soon new technology would come around love of hate that he did that i feel this was what Star Wars was all about pushing your limits and re doing what you feel needs to be improved on again until your happy.

Why else would we do heroics or GCW other wise.

9. #9 Re: *The Phantom Menace - 20th Anniversary* 
    Player

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember the initial hype from when the toys were revealed at the International Toy Fair in New York. They had the first wave of Hasbro figures and early Star Wars Lego on display, which was huge for the time because Lego had just started getting in to licensing IP's.
    I ended up getting a newspaper route just so I had money to go see the movie as many times as I wanted and to buy all the merch.

...Then I saw the movie.

IGN Martokk

10. #10 Re: *The Phantom Menace - 20th Anniversary* 
    Community Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Murrdohk...same as my forum name...

WOW! Can't believe this was 20 years ago! I was living 16-people-deep in a 10-man tent in a tent city set up in Aviano AB, Italy and we were bombing the hell out of Kosovo! That was one of the worse deployments I was ever on but luckily they had an on-base theater so we got to watch the Phantom Menace there. The only catch was that I had to watch it 5 times to get it all because we were turning & burning 24/7 and jets were taking off like every 10-20 minutes right next to the theater to drop bombs...haha