40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contents

1. Preparing to Fish
    2. Fishing Guide
    3. Fish by Planet
    4. Catch List +

Fishing is a Star Wars Galaxies mini game and offers a nice distraction to regular gameplay. The following is a fishing guide, information about fishing collections, as well as pictures of every type of fish in the game.

Preparing to Fish

Three things are required to start fishing. A fishing pole, some fishing bait, and a fishing location.

Fishing Pole
    The fishing pole is an equippable item that can contain one stack of bait in its tackle. It will replace anything you are holding, if you are holding something. You can change the bait in the pole whether it is equipped or not . Fishing poles are graded with a quality rating from zero to 100. Whether or not the quality of the pole really matters is up for debate, but a pole rated at 70 or higher should be fine.

Fishing Bait
    There are four types of fishing bait in the game: grub bait, insect bait, worm bait, and chum bait. It doesn’t seem to matter which bait you use and will stack with bait of the same type.
    There are two ways you can get bait if you do not want to buy it from someone else. You can forage for non-chum bait, or you can use chum bait that you get by filleting fish you caught.
    You need to place the bait in the pole before you start fishing. While fishing your bait will start fresh but will become soggy or mushy as it is used.

Fishing Location and Menu
    You can fish in almost any natural body of water. You cannot fish in fountains, or in a few other places like the pool under Fort Tusken. There are several places where you can catch fish on every planet except Kashyyyk and Mustafar.

Fishing locations are rated in two ways, fish density and vegetation. A high fish density will lead to more nibbles and hopefully more fish caught. A high vegetation rating means you will catch more junk items and fish tank components and will have a greater chance of snagging your line when a fish bites.

When you have your fishing pole, bait, and a suitable location, you can start fishing using the /fish command, or read the guide below.

Fishing Guide

After finding a place to fish step out into the water and face along the shoreline, as shown below. Equip the fishing pole, make sure there is bait in the tackle, and type /fish.

The /fish command will cast the line, and a splash will show the location of the hook. Since you are facing along the shore, you and your hook (fishing marker) should be about the same distance from the waterline.

After casting a fishing menu will pop up with actions you can choose; Tug Up, Tug Right, Tug Left, Small Reel-In, and Stop Fishing. You want to select a ‘Tug’ option and then ok or double click. The window will refresh with your chosen option in NEXT ACTION.

Every 7 seconds your character will do the option you selected until your fishing marker gets too close, you lose your bait, or you catch a fish.If you get closer than 2m to your fishing marker, you will reel in your line and stop fishing. Since tugging on the line will gradually bring the hook closer, staying at least 3m away provides a buffer zone.

You will see these pop up as you are fishing
    When you see , you have a fish on your line and do not have to choose a ‘Tug’ option. The fishing menu will disappear and you can chose to wait for your catch to get closer to you or, if you have chosen to fish in shallow water, you can walk up to 3m closer to the fishing marker for a quicker way to reel in your catch. If the fish hasn't stolen your bait before this time , another system message will appear specifying the type of fish that was caught.

Swimming and getting into combat will instantly stop the fishing process.

Once a fish is caught, you have the option to fillet it getting resources and more bait. You can also keep the fish to decorate with. A regular fish that is caught will take up 3 inventory slots until it is filleted.

Fish by Planet

Fish colors vary by which planet they are caught on

Catch List +

Regular Fish

Posed largest to smallest to show the size difference
    -Ray
    -Faa
    -Laa
    -Blowfish
    -Striped Fish
    -Bluefish
    -Blackfish

Fish Collector Collection

A Reel Life Collection Fish
    -Rare Blackfish
    -Rare Blowfish
    -Rare Bluefish
    -Rare Laa Fish
    -Rare Faa Fish
    -Rare Ray Fish
    -Rare Striped Fish

Nabooian Angler Collection Fish
    -Naboo Fatfish
    -Naboo Gooberfish
    -Naboo Gumfish
    -Naboo Mee Fish
    -Naboo See Fish

Master Angler Collection Fish
    -Dathomir Burra
    -Endor Buzzfish
    -Endor Trout
    -Yavin Crawlfish

After completing the three collections;The Reel Life, Nabooian Angler, and Master Angler, you are awarded a Fish Tank (Schematic). This can be made by a Structure's Trader using the Fish Tank Components to make a Fish Tank (Collection Reward). Each schematic is good for two uses. Another collection, Fish Tank Crafting Quota, allows a Structure's Trader to earn a Structures Helper Monkey by crafting 25 Fish Tanks.

Fish Tank Components
    -Transparisteel Front Panel
    -Transparisteel Left Panel
    -Transparisteel Rear Panel
    -Transparisteel Right Panel
    -Bubbling Stone
    -Tubing

Other
    Treasure Map
    Random Junk Loot

For the drop rates of Fish Tank Items/Treasure maps/Junk Loot (not including collection fish), there is a 6% chance it will be one of the mentioned items each time you catch something.
    Last edited by Tallia; 11-30-2018 at 10:23 PM.

2. #2 Re: *Friday Feature - Fishing* 
    Community Guide

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh well done! Get detail!!I love the fishing aspect of swg. Thank you for covering this as a friday feature! Would there ever be a chance of bringing the fishing badges from live to legends? Would love to see those again!!
    Last edited by Darnarg; 11-30-2018 at 07:47 PM.

3. #3 Re: *Friday Feature - Fishing* 
    Community Guide

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice guide thanks!

4. #4 Re: *Friday Feature - Fishing* 
    Community Guide

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for putting this together and sharing. Outstanding job!

Current Deals: Pet Food, Starship Texture Kits, Batteries, Bacta, Ship Repair Kits, Clothing, Missiles
    IG Contact: Vincer Kaden or Garova or Visit the shop: /wp Dantooine -1032 2754 V Mart

5. #5 Re: *Friday Feature - Fishing* 
    Player
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great guide but Chrome has an issue with SWGLegends forum for me and your choice of font colour makes the post virtually unreadable unless I highlight the text :(

I found out why, I need to click on Full Site at the bottom of the post and it loads VBulletin site :)
    Last edited by MiliKilaWat; 11-30-2018 at 11:23 PM.

6. #6 Re: *Friday Feature - Fishing* 
    Community Contributor

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome write up (and screenshots), obviously lots of time spent, nothing new to me but ty for those who would otherwise struggle!

🕱🄾🅁🄾🕱#4580

7. #7 Re: *Friday Feature - Fishing* 
    Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what I have seen in long wasted hours of fishing while in good old live servers, while on "nibble" and "bite" status, the tug option is just a 2/3 chance the catch stays and you go up one catch status level and 1/3 the bait goes back to "waiting" status. You can consider it like: not losing once in a two-row rock-paper-scisor and you get a catch to reel in. Actually you can use all the time the same side tug with that 2/3 average sucess rate all the same as if you alternate. All that while on a 4 or 5 fish density, I'm not sure if it's different with less (who would want to fish in that kind of spot?).

8. #8 Re: *Friday Feature - Fishing* 
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohohee View Post
    For what I have seen in long wasted hours of fishing while in good old live servers, while on "nibble" and "bite" status, the tug option is just a 2/3 chance the catch stays and you go up one catch status level and 1/3 the bait goes back to "waiting" status. You can consider it like: not losing once in a two-row rock-paper-scisor and you get a catch to reel in. Actually you can use all the time the same side tug with that 2/3 average sucess rate all the same as if you alternate. All that while on a 4 or 5 fish density, I'm not sure if it's different with less (who would want to fish in that kind of spot?).
    In my experience too as a bonified SWG Fishmonger, I can honestly say it's all chance. But an addictive chance game, any catch could be something rare, part of a collection, or even a treasure map to paltry shitty goods and posters. But you still get the fun of hunting it down, and getting gang beaten for finding it. At the end of the day I love throwing the pole in the water for a bit after grinding bases and still find it calming.

Two things I can add that weren't mentioned in the article are fish and vegetation density, and fish size. Each fish you catch will have a length reading in it's basic info listed in meters, they don't change in size when put on display, but it is a way to keep track your "big Catches" and a way to compete against other anglers.
    As far as density, you get nibbles and bites far less often on a *** density than you will on a *****. And in return you'll snag much more often when fishing in vegetation dense areas. *Hint* Small Reel In will in most cases untangle your line.

Which begs the question, if Dathomir fish are so damn hard to catch usually *** Density with the same in vegetation it can take over an hour to catch enough to filet maybe 200 units and make up for all the bait you lost, but selling prices don't come close to the effort involved. Even AFK macro fishing in that area will yield about the same amount, or less as they don't account for snags and you can tear through bait fast if all you do is tug up.

Happy Fishing everyone!

Murson/Harbid/Oudie -- Fishmongers of Naboo