Thread: *The Galactic Moon Festival Community Contests!*

1. #1 *The Galactic Moon Festival Community Contests!* 
    Project Admin

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Happy Supernatural Autumn, Legends!

It’s leading up to that time where we stock up on candy, dust off our costumes, and enjoy the spooky festivities. Some get out trick-or-treating baskets out, some decorate their abodes. There are, truly, many ways one can prepare! For this occasion, our team has prepared a very special contest for the creative part of our community.

To add some variety, we will be opening up two categories of community contests this month. Keep reading to find out more!

Pumpkin Carving Contest Returns!

If you are good with knifes and know how to handle your pumpkins, grab your tools and submit a picture to the carving contest! The only catch is that it has to be Star Wars themed.

Be as spookily-creative as you want to be! Entries can be funny, serious, gothic. Whatever you think is fitting within the Star Wars theme. We really want you to capture the pure spirit of the Galactic Moon Festival! Submitted entries will be reverse image-searched, so if you submit the work that is not yours, your entry will be automatically disqualified.

Rules:
    • No stealing other people’s works. We will be checking!
    • One entry per account
    • You can only enter either the Pumpkin Carving Contest OR Writing Contest.
    • Images of Pumpkins must be uploaded to a suitable location and posted within the forum post. (Must be a decent quality image! Host to the forum or Imgur etc.)
    • Images of Pumpkins MUST include your account name/character name. (Visible within the picture)

Needing some inspiration? Take a look at some of our submissions from last year.

A Grim Writing Contest

If you think you are much better with words, then writing category is designed for you! All you have to do is conjure up a spooky story! It can involve your guild, your friends, your characters, and even canon characters, as long as you are being respectful.

Let your words paint the picture. The story can be slightly comedic, it can be eerie, it can have some elements of thriller and drama in it. It can even be a poem if you feel like it! Just, please avoid overly explicit scenes.

While theft of others’ works is not allowed, you are encouraged to imitate the style of popular writers, as long as the work is still yours.

Rules:
    • No stealing other people’s works.
    • One entry per account.
    • Forum rules/Guidelines must be taken into consideration when writing.
    • Minimum word count for the story is 2000.
    • You must submit your story within this forum thread.

Contest Information: You have until Thursday 1st November (10PM GMT UK /5PM EST USA /2PM PST USA. For Australians - 2nd November 8AM AEST/9AM AEDT/5AM ACT) To enter either the writing contest OR Pumpkin Carving Contest. There will be a potential THREE winners from each category which will win an in-game Galactic Moon Festival gift bag. Successful winners will be contacted via Discord or Forum PM. Entries will be judged by event staff and judged on uniqueness and creativity.

Good luck celebrants!
    Last edited by RoarAsh; 10-04-2018 at 11:52 AM.

2. #2 Re: *The Galactic Moon Festival Community Contests!* 
    Community Guide

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woot!! Cant wait to get into some GMF! Sounds great. Thanks and always for all the hard work!!

3. #3 Re: *The Galactic Moon Festival Community Contests!* 
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... maybe the story about The Great Darthkin who delivers Moon Festival goodies to worthy young Imperials? lol

((Darth Vader dressed in orange and black for the season))
    Last edited by Carolyn; 10-04-2018 at 08:51 PM. Reason: spelling
    ---
    Carolyn

4. #4 Re: *The Galactic Moon Festival Community Contests!* 
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around the Campfire
    Short Story by Rikochet

The glow of the fire was hypnotic. Through the dancing lick of flames I almost found myself drifting towards a meditative state. If it weren't for Iodie sitting next to me and occasionally nudging me, I would have. The group was all together. It was Joesen's idea to have a camp fire in the middle of town. I wasn't fond of the idea of drawing attention to ourselves. But our new found friend and Mayor of the city reminded me how remote the location was; and how little the Empire paid attention to us.

“It is the home-world of our Mighty Emperor.” Kozar said giving me a wink.

Regardless, I was still hesitant as we all sat around the fire. Lemoni had made some Bofa-treats to pass around and while everyone enjoyed them, Mi-Sa and Amika broke out in song. They sang an old ballad from the days of the Old Republic. The melody was soft and tender and I even think it brought a tear to C'ella's eye.

Dallen; her little brother; looked over at her. “Are you crying?” He said with a giggle.

She whacked him square on his large bicep. “I GOT ASH IN MY EYE, Poo-DOO brain!”

Dallen winced and rubbed at his arm.

Joesen looked over and laughed. “It did look like a tear, little sister, you sure? Cuz, for a moment there; it appeared like you have heart after all.”

At that everyone burst out laughing, even C'ella giggled a little. She motioned at Mi-Sa. “What was that song about anyway, I didn't even know the language you were singing in.”

Mi-Sa just shrugged. “I don't know either, I learned it when I was young. No one I knew ever knew what the words meant. It just seemed sad, like a love song.” She opened up a case next to her.

“It's Alnethian, it's an ancient dialect from Tatooine.” I said. “Its a song about a boy and his pet Bantha.” The roar of laughter echoed in the city.

As the laughter died down, Mi-Sa picked up her Mandovial and began plucking out a tune as Amika hummed.

Ajihad sitting next to me perked up and turned to Iodie and me. “Mom, Dad isn't Galactic Moon Festival coming up soon?”

“Yep, why do you think I've been so busy kiddo?” Kalef said from across the fire pit. “Gotta have those costumes ready for everyone.”

Kozar motioned to Naipa. “Any ideas for city decorations this year?”

“That's a silly question.” She smiled. “Of course, Kalef and I have some pretty interesting things in mind. Especially with that abandoned hut at the end of town.”

“I bet that place is haunted.” Sparks said poking at his older sister Ajihad.

She pushed back. “Knock it off!”

Iodie stared at the both of them. “Behave.” she said in her quiet yet stern voice.

Kozar was smiling. “I'm sure what ever the state of it is, that Kalef and Naipa will make it look haunted.” He looked back at Naipa. “Just give me and Rik a chance to check it out tomorrow. Make sure the structure is sound.”

I nodded to him as did Naipa.

“Hey, since it is almost time for the Moon Festival, and we are around a campfire, maybe we should tell some ghost stories?” C'ella said sitting forward in her camp chair.

That peaked Dallen's interest. “Oh yeah, I got one.” He stood up from the stump he was sitting on. “OK, so...”

“There was this guy who had a mynock.” Joesen and C'ella finished. “We've heard it a thousand times.” C'ella said groaning.

Dallen looked at her incredulously. “Well maybe they haven't heard it.”

“Actually, Dallen, you have told that story quite a few times.” I said.

Kozar nodded. “Matter of fact you told me that story just yesterday.”

“Oh.” Dallen said sitting back down. “It's a good story though.”

“Yeah, its good, the first time you tell it.” Joesen said ribbing his little brother.

Kozar sat forward in his chair. “You know there was this old Gun-Gan tale about a cave not too far from here.” As Kozar began to spin his yarn, my mind wandered.

The mention of a cave took me back to when Iodie and I first met. And as the whirlwind of images flashed in my mind, I hadn't noticed Iodie looking at me. “Where were you?” She said softly to me. I just looked at her and smiled.

“You alright there Rikochet?” Kozar asked.

“Oh yes I am fine.” I said looking into the flames.

Joesen peered at me around the flames. “Kozar's story spook you that much ol' buddy?” He teased.

“I don't think there is much that can scare that old man.” Mi-Sa said setting her Mandovial aside.

Amika giggled. “Unless Iodie tells him that she pregnant again.”

Quickly I turned to Iodie; her expression was of shock and surprise. “That is not funny sister!” She quickly glanced at me and back to her. “Nor is it true.” A smile crossed her face. She looked back at me because I was still looking at her. “It's not true, Amika is just being feisty.”

“I don't think there is anything that can scare Dad.” Said Sparks.

“Nah, just a Jax.” Ajihad said. The campfire group erupted with laughter again, even Iodie.

“THAT is not funny, and it was a herd, not just one!” I defended myself while everyone laughed even harder.

Monkiwi had mostly been listening in and laughing with the rest. Mainly because she was the one who had to treat my wounds from that encounter. She sighed. “No seriously though, you looked deep in thought. You have a story in mind? Because I don't think everyone is going to find that Jax story as scary as you did that day.” She said inviting a few more giggles from the group.

Jarek was sitting next to Iodie and leaned in. “Didn't you serve in the Clone Wars, Rik?” He said still giggling.

“Galactic Moon Festival, Jarek, you know scary stories and the like.” C'ella chided. “We want scary, not war stories.”

I thought about that night and decided to share it with them. “I was just thinking about something that had happened, around the time when Iodie and I first met.”

“I'd say, any first meeting with Rik has to be scary.” Mi-Sa chortled.

“Kozar mentioned a cave and it got me thinking.” I said.

Iodie placed a hand on my arm and I looked to her. The joy of the moment had left her eyes. “Rik, maybe that is not a good idea.”

“Oh, now we really want to hear it.” Kozar said leaning in intently.

My eyes were locked into the flames as everyone leaned in to listen. “We were young-lings, Iodie and I. We were on our way to Courscant; to the Jedi Temple to be tested. Along the way we stopped at a planet, the Master, who had found us was given a directive from the Jedi Council to stop there and investigate a disturbance in the Force.

What we found there was nothing but death and destruction, fire and ash. The only settlement on that planet was leveled. As we made our way to a cave, I began to feel a presence of absolute hatred. It was blinding; almost like a fog in your mind. We were expecting something catastrophic but what we found was, something we were not prepared to see.” I said taking a breath and looking around. No one was speaking and everyone was hanging on my every word. I continued.

“There was a boy, in absolute distress, yelling and screaming at himself. Even harming himself, pulling his own hair, scratching at his arms and chest. When we announced ourselves, he began shooting force lightning all around the room. Master Oszick deflected the beam with his light-saber. A few of those bolts found Iodie and myself and knocked us to the floor of the cave.

The next thing I remember was waking up with the boy lying on the ground across from me, dead, with a fresh Saber slash running across his chest. His eyes lifeless and wide open.” I looked around and no one could breathe. Iodie was looking at the ground, still clutching my arm.

“I still see him, in my thoughts, in my nightmares, lifeless eyes staring back at me as if wanting to ask me a question I'll never get to answer.” I said stoking the fire. “I see him as if his spirit were here, trying to lead me to someplace, to show me something.”

“Show you what?” Jarek inquired.

“I wish I knew. Its as if his ghost is attached to me and following me, until I figure it out.” I said shrugging.

Kozar, mouth agape finally spoke. “By the Force, Rik, I had no idea.”

Joesen stared at me a moment. “No kid should ever have to see that.”

Everyone else remained silent. The mood had suddenly gotten dark and sullen. No sound but the crackle of the fire, the insects and wild life in the distance were audible.

“HI EVERYONE!” A young voice shouted from the shadows. Yelps and screams erupted from everyone around the fire as Star appeared out of the shadows. Apparently on one of her late night hunts. She stood next to her siblings; Sparks and Ajihad.

“Ooh Bofa-Treats!” She said with glee as she took a few and sat next to her brother. “Whats with the campfire?”
    Last edited by tethawk331; 10-04-2018 at 11:31 PM.

5. #5 Re: *The Galactic Moon Festival Community Contests!* 
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Kashyyyk Quiche”
    IGN: Betelgeuse
    Discord: Moonwalker

It began with a friendly holo-call from Chewy. Apprehensive at first, Leia agreed to a meal with the renowned Wookiee aboard the Millennium Falcon. In a nutshell, Chewbacca explained his need to make a quick trip through hyperspace to run some errands for Han, curious if her Highness would like to come with, as they’ve seldom seen each other after the Alliance’s explosive triumph over the evil Galactic Empire. ‘A loving gesture on Chewy’s behalf,’ Leia thought to herself.

Since the battle of Endor, The Princess hasn’t seen much of Han, Lando, or even Luke. It’s as if after the destruction of the second Death Star, everyone was in such a hurry to right the wrongs forced onto the galaxy by the former Empire, that long periods of time apart from each other became the norm. Just because an enemy was defeated doesn’t mean the galaxy should be left in anarchy. Leaders, like Lando, Han or Luke took personal responsibility to stabilize a now redeemed Galaxy, wherever it required them. The Odd part was...Chewbacca. It’s a rare thing to see the beloved Furball without Han...and seeing Good ol’ Chewy, even just for a quick lunch(and possibly a chance to see Han) was a rare treat which warmed Organa’s heart--and honestly, how often do you see Leia spending quality time with the Fuzzy Rebellion Hero on her own? Her apprehensions dissolved when she came to this realization. Despite her own obligations to the Corellian system which she volunteered to help stabilize...there’s also an obligation to old friends.

“Rwoooaaaaorr!!” gorgled Chewy, which in his native tongue meant “I’ve made us lunch.” The tall space-ape brought a hearty meat-filled pastry which he coined ‘Kashyyyk Quiche’ over to the Princess while she sat by the un-powered Dejarik Table aboard the Millennium Falcon, as they rocketed through the blue starry tube of Hyperspace.

The meal looked like something you would expect an overgrown hairy humanoid to conjure up in an archaic kitchen using only the most primitive of wookiee cooking technology. ‘Basic’ would describe it...and Large also; Wookiees are born with three stomachs and 80 feet of long intestine, so it’s only natural that the dish dwarfed the size of her head. The golden-orange crust was browned at the edges, and smelled like something her own adoptive mother would have made for her as a child growing up on Alderaan. It brought back fond memories of an innocent royal childhood. The quiche sat in a dull, metallic custom-made bowl crafted from a spare satellite dish lying around in the unkempt recesses of the mostly vacant Millenium Falcon. This custom-crafted quiche container rested upon the famed dejarik playing table wherein the unforgettable match was held between the tempermental Chewbacca and sassy R2-D2. For Leia, it seemed out of Character for Chewbacca to act so roughly towards the loveable droid, especially now that the War was finally over; after all, Chewbacca is an adorable, faithful and trustworthy companion, going so far as to indebt his life to Han, who selflessly saved it oh so many moons ago. She thought the world of Chewy, and this act of loving servitude only meant that the Wookiee thought likewise of the Princess.

Despite the size, she picked up a spoon and took a bite.
    An amalgum of flavors danced on her tongue--but most notably--was the flavor and texture of the meat! It was perfectly cooked and blended so well with the other ingredients that She found great difficulty in restraining herself to eating anything else but giant spoonfuls of the decadent dish, much to Chewy’s delight.

“This is delicious--” Leia declared with a mouthful of the delicacy, “--but--I can’t help but wonder when and HOW you learned to cook so well,” she questioned, stacking her spoon high with the succulent meat so masterfully cooked by her hairy comrade.

“GwoooaaarGhuaaaaaghuaguaguah!!(Just recently, as a matter of fact),” besnorgled the Kashyyyk native, with a twinge of pride in his wook-speak. “Rghooooaaghuehehe!!!(I’m self-taught), added the unshaven chef-bacca.

Accustomed to bland, disgusting military rations for several years serving the Rebellion, Leia‘s palate ignited with spices she‘d never sampled before...and she heartily ate the lovingly prepared dish. “Well, I must say, this dish alone is better than...well...it’s the best meal I’ve eaten in years!” she added, while adding another additional heaping spoonful of the meaty pie into her mouth. “Has Han tried this? Surely he must have--you can’t keep a meal like this a secret from him, right?”

An air of seriousness emanated from the Fur-clad Rebellion Hero. The atmosphere between her Highness and the Wookiee immediately changed...as if someone had poured salt into an open blaster wound in which the Walking Carpet was nursing. “Hwooooaaaaaghhhhaghgh(Not yet.),” he quietly gorgled.

Curious about the star system they were heading to, and the errands they were running, Leia prodded “So where *is* Han? Is he with Lando?”

“Rhooooaaaaguguagua(No).” The Wookiee replied bluntly...as bluntly as a roaring wookiee could be. Something was amiss...and Leia didn’t know whether to keep nudging Chewy, or to change the subject entirely.

No.

The two were friends--and friends ask the questions that need to be asked. The dross of whatever difficulty or hardship the Wookiee was enduring needed to be smelted away by the firey coals of a caring heart...with that, She decided to be bold and keep pressing.

“Well, where is he?” The Princess bravely inquired, shoveling yet another teetering spoonful of the delicious entree into her mouth.

It was odd. The absolutely decadent flavor of Chewbacca’s handiwork was in stark contrast to the now-awkward atmosphere that permeated their spirits in this moment. The meal was like a vibrant, beautiful Yavinian tulip planted amidst a toxic trash-heap of tension between the two. This, however, didn’t stop the Princess from noshing herself full of the exquisite luncheon set before her. She didn’t let up. She couldn’t let up...it was THAT good.

Chewbacca took his time responding to Leia’s inquiry...looked down slowly...and shrugged--fixing his eyes on the falcon’s durasteel floor-panels below him.

‘How strange’ Organa thought...'What happened between Han and Chewbacca?’ She bit down on a particularly chewy piece of the meaty quiche...’An argument? A fight maybe? After all they had been through, surely nothing could tear that iconic duo apart’...curious to a fault, yet not wanting to poke the nearly-literal bear in the room, she continued to chew...

*CRUNCH!!!*

...Something in the Wookiee’s homemade meal grazed her gums and almost cracked her teeth.

“OW!!” She exclaimed, her eyes closed tight, fists clenched tight with her knuckles turned white, spoon-in-hand,visibly wrestling with the sharp pain in her molars. She immediately thought to herself ‘I knew this meal was too good to be true. Leave it to Chewbacca to make a mistake’. In her mind, however, she understood Chewy had just learned how to cook...and as delicious as it was, it was entirely possible that he made some novice mistake. Far be it from her to antagonize her fuzzy friend after such a long hiatus from their last meeting.

The somber Wookiee donned an expression of deep concern as she yelped aloud.

Mouth still full of the Kashyyykian delicacy, and not wanting to offend her seldom-seen friend, she attempted a smile, placed her spoon down onto the dejarik board, and proceeded to pull the source of the problem from her mouth.

“......a....fingernail...?”

“ROOOOOOAAAAAAAAWWWWRRRRRGHHHH!!!!!” begrodled the now-shaken Wookiee...

Leia found herself incapable of translating the harsh Shrilliwook, as she was mortified--not of Chewy...but of the numerous scenarios dancing in her mind, of how and WHY there was a human fingernail in the now inedible food in front of her.

...just...how??

“RRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWRRRRGGHHHHHHH!!!!!” The Wookiee roared at the top of his dual-tracheas, causing the Princess to jump out of her chair and bonk the back of her royal cranium against the unforgiving durasteel wall behind her, causing an obviously hastily-hidden holo-recording device to fall onto her lap from the overhead tubings above, resulting in said device to play out a grisly blue-flickering scene, explaining *exactly* where Han went...

...and who’s fingernail it was.

...at that moment, Leia immediately understood exactly WHY you must always let the Wookiee
    win at Dejarik--if only Han had heeded his own advice...

Confused, shaken and mouth agape with shock, she paid close attention to the tiny blue light show now playing on her lap...

To her absolute horror, the holo-recording revealed it was an accident. An unintended mishap. The Wookiee acted brashly in such a rage at his loss, going so far as to punch the wall, topple the table...and, apparently, do exactly what Han warned Luke about concerning besting the Wookiee at Dejarik...all the while shaking wildly in an obvious blow to Chewy’s pride. The blue holo-recorder fizzled a bit...and turned off before the miniature blue flickering scene got any worse.

Shaking with fear and a deep, deep unrelenting sadness, Leia could only guess that Han’s ex-sidekick needed to hide the evidence of his crime in the most inconspicuous manner fathomable...but what the 8-foot tall hairy behemoth never fathomed, was Leia Organa finding out. Where do you go from here? What do you say to a monster who took the love of your life away so soon? And Why, oh Why was it so delicious?!

Sickened by more than what she had so eagerly eaten, She collapsed on the ground, dizzy and confused by it all. This trip opened up dark doors within her mind and into rooms she would have never dared walking into...so then it occurred to her...had the Wookiee developed a taste for smuggler? ...or more specifically...humans?! Where were they going in Hyperspace if the reality of ‘running errands for Han’ were a lie??!

It couldn’t be.

No....no.....it very much is.

She was being hunted.

The Wookiee’s methods were not unlike using chum made *from* fish to ergo, catch *more* fish. Absolutely Disgusting.

...but it was far, far too late. It seems the Wookiee was always smarter than he looked. And evidently the most cunning of hunters.

The metaphorical Razor-Cat now out of the bag, Chewbacca’s disposition changed entirely, as hungry, heavy breathing overtook his normal composure. He stood up, and made his way towards the shaken and depressed human before him...

Never one to let her emotions get the best of her--even if it meant avenging the love of her life--Leia kept her cool.

...but not this time.

Never in a thousand years would she ever dream of putting down the beloved Wookiee, Old-Yeller Style. But it had to be done. It was the right thing to do.

Tears rolled down her cheeks as she reached towards her holster...

WHAT?!?!

...her holster was missing??! ...Rats!! That’s right--Why in the world would she bring a blaster along for a friendly outer-space luncheon with an old friend?

...at this point, she was doubtless that the one who now sought her life was a genius, on the level of the notorious Boba Fett or Bossk. He planned it from the start, thinking with his stomach, as usual.

‘What a fool I am!!’ she thought to herself, understanding just how dire her situation was.

...without a blaster, hurdling through uninterruptable Hyperspace Travel, while simultaneously hurdling towards an inescapable end...she stood still and accepted her fate...

The Wookiee grinned as he picked the displaced Princess up closer towards his drooling maw. She cringed in disgust as a foul, smelly, heated breath wafted over her face--the Wookiee proceeded with his scheme. With jaws opened wide, he slowly pulled her skull towards his gaping monstrous teeth...

...in a futile attempt to dampen the emotional pain of the dark plot calculatingly set into motion by the artful, conniving Wookiee to fulfill his newly acquired tastes, she screamed at the top of her lungs...

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! !!!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~

...Leia sat up in her bed, cheeks dripping with a mixture of cold sweat and tears.

“A Night Terror,” she said aloud in joyous, honest relief.

Almost morning on Corellia, she flopped back into bed and kissed Han on the cheek.
    Barely awake, Han dragged his hand across her cheek to greet her.

“Have you been crying or something, Princess?” said Han with a teaspoon of grogginess in his voice.

“Yeah, I had the worst dream...the most horrible things happened, and--”

“--Just get back to sleep your Highness. Just a dream.” interrupted the ex-smuggler.

She smiled.

“I love you,” said Leia.

“I know.” Replied Han.

As she laid back down to sleep, she gently pulled Han’s hand toward her cheek...but something felt odd.

...He was missing a fingernail.
    Last edited by Fylingdaleflyer; 10-07-2018 at 02:03 PM.

6. #6 Re: *The Galactic Moon Festival Community Contests!* 
    Player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMG_2527.jpg

Death star, yo.

7. #7 Re: *The Galactic Moon Festival Community Contests!* 
    Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)