Thread: *SWG LEGENDS: Staff Spotlight: Jarek*

1. #1 *SWG LEGENDS: Staff Spotlight: Jarek* 
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Staff Handle Name?
    JarekCyphus

What is your position on the Legends Staff?
    Client Art Developer & Sound Designer

What do you do for the project SWG Legends? Aside from provide a continuation of the live ILM mod (which has evolved into something so much bigger), I also assist Karthoris with essential tasks in space content development including hooking up new textures, designing shaders as necessary, developing new sounds, occasional bug busting, and obligatory QA’ing of that work and doing gut checks to verify conflicts with ILM (which the new ILM2 addresses). Did you know our testing on those group convoys goes all the way back to December? Yeah. Whew.

How did you come to possess these skills, education or self taught?
    Both. I was a student at Full Sail University from 2007-2009; recall to active duty and some family hardship precluded continued school, so the wealth of talent over at the old modsource.org site filled in the skill gaps as far as the SWG client was concerned. The techniques learned to improve alpha channels and normal maps (helps the way the light hits a texture and model look more realistic) came from those that are now pretty high up in the industry (art wise) but were mere modders at the time.

Describe your typical day supporting Legends.
    Occasionally stirring the pot in the Pilot’s Club, but otherwise soliciting feedback and ideas for future ILM updates, bouncing ideas off and helping other staffers like Karthoris, Reign, and Ctrl, and jumping on Alpha whenever something needs to be tested or given a hard look. When those affairs are settled, I’m up to my eyeballs skimming through and researching client files with my editing tools, trying to find those untapped gems of content that were either unused by SOE, or swept under the rug. Occasionally, this results in the creation (or improvement of) a sound or shader...or three. I’m even staring at shader replacement options for a certain dungeon upgrade in ILM as I type this…

What do you think your greatest contribution has been to Legends?
    ILM, without a doubt. It hadn’t occurred to me how many people actually enjoyed it from live until I relaunched it as “ILM Legend” last year. I never imagined it becoming the “EVE Trinity” of Star Wars Galaxies, but here we are.

Of course little contributions to things like the Space Convoy storage units and the unique Prototype TIE Defender texture (inspired by Star Wars Rebels) hold a special place in my heart, too.

What would the other staff at Legends say to this question, “Describe Jarek.”?
    He talks too damn much, lol.

What they actually said;
    • An enthusiastic bundle of creativity.
    • Enthusiastic about everything and dedicated to making SWG look as amazing as possible.
    • First staff member who managed to get his own announcement channel.
    • Passionate and energetic.

What has been the most difficult thing you’ve done supporting Legends?
    Chasing down the odd bugs that didn’t exist on live, as well as chasing down and trying to come up with fixes for those that were on live that never got resolved.

ILM-wise?
    Definitely shader editing and creation. I only dabbled in that small-scale with the live ILM and didn’t have the knowledge I have now. It’s still incredibly challenging, and often involves tremendous amounts of trial and error.

How often do you actually get to play SWG?
    Not as much as I like. In recent months, maybe no more than 2-4 hours a week.

What is your favorite thing to do in game?
    Space Space. Oh did I mention space? I also love heroics. I’ve also recently fallen BACK in love with player structure and POB ship decorating.

When did you start playing SWG, and describe that experience?
    2003. The experience was surreal on a level I can’t describe quite as eloquently as I’d like. The connections I made with players grew into genuine friendships that endure to this day. For me, SWG created another, equally-irreplaceable family.

2. #2 Re: *SWG LEGENDS: Staff Spotlight: Jarek* 
    Community Contributor

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ILM is simply amazing!

3. #3 Re: *SWG LEGENDS: Staff Spotlight: Jarek* 
    Galactic Senator

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jarekcyphus is a modest Man too, it seems ;)

I know for a Fact , that his Enthusiasm and Dedication to Legends, means so much more than what is described here.
    Wagnar: Master Commando, Alliance Ace Pilot, Master Chronicler and Alliance General (Ret.)--Chriztal: Master Officer, Beastmaster, Imperial Ace Pilot and Imperial General--Pearll: Master Crafter, Chief Geneticist and Corsec Master Pilot--Ivar: Master Crafter, Chief Geneticist and Imperial Pilot--Amathyst: Master Medic -- All proud Members of ASA / DAWN

Don't ask: What can The Community do for Me ? --- Ask: What can I do for The Community ?