Thread: *Star Wars Galaxies Memories*

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
  1. #91 Re: *Star Wars Galaxies Memories* 
    Senior Player
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have many fond in-game memories, and I cherish each of them.. but ONE memory I can never let go, and as long as I am involved in an SWG community, it is my endeavor to always keep it alive. That is a promise I made almost a decade ago, and one I am still keeping, in part, by sharing this post:

When I joined SWG in early 2004, never in my wildest dreams did I ever believe I would meet so many different people from all over the world, from all walks of life, and not just interact with them in a video game, but develop lasting friendships with so many of them. Of the many guilds/communities I have been a part of, the greatest memories come from was a guild I had the honor of being guild leader up until sunset: TCU (formally IDI) on Chilastra. And of all the members I share the game with, the one I mention now holds a very special place in my heart... A fun-loving, fast running Ranger Wookie named THAR!

Back prior to PRE-CU, so many of us prided ourselves on our various achievements. Some would try to solo the most challenging of content, some were to be considered masters of dueling, and some just had to search out and tame the most viscious of creatures... But Thar, his bragging rights came from his speed abilities. While some in the guild would challenge each other in friendly duels of combat, or even pit their pets against each other, Thar would always challenge us to foot-races through town. As a Ranger, with every speed or terrain negotiation mods he could get his hands on, that wookiee was FAST! I truly felt that he could crawl faster than most could run! And when it came to group runs, he was a brave fellow as he would run right into the middle of a large mob of Gundarks, kill one or two and zoom right back out...

But the noe day I remember most with Thar was the one day he had logged in, and asked if all of us in the guild could meet in our town (Tranquil City on Lok)... he didn't seem to be the bight, funny Thar we all had grown used to... And once we were all gathered in town, we learned that it was not Thar at all who had logged in, but his mother... to let us all know that her young son Werner, who had played Thar for those few years with us, had lost his battle with Multiple Sclerosis. For a good few hours after hearing this, we sat and chatted with who we would then affectionately refer to as Thar's Mom, sharing the many memories we had with him. And as we chatted one thing became very clear to me: The reason why he was so proud of his running speed was because for him, a young fellow who lived most of his live confined to a wheelchair, the Thar character had become his legs! During our chat, one of the discussions was a promise I made to Thar's Mom, and that is that as long as I am in a SWG community, I will endeavor to keep his memory alive, in some manner. Even to this day, over a decade later, I still keep in contact with her on social media.

We set up a memorial for him on top a hill right on the edge of town, and it stayed in the game until it closed. As of now, I have set up a new town (Thar's Rest) where Tranquil City once stood, with the intent of rebuilding Memorial Hill as part of that promise.

His mother made this Youtube tribute for Thar when he passed back in 2009, and I still get choked up with tears each time I view it:

https://youtu.be/dBJtV-fCb-I

2. #92 Re: *Star Wars Galaxies Memories* 
    Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Talk about throwback Thursday, Krego, that's a blast from the past, for real :) Good to see a familiar name here :) Now if I can just get in game. I'm not even really sure I'm installed correctly, but I'm working on it. Looking forward to playing again!

3. #93 Re: *Star Wars Galaxies Memories* 
    New Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I joined Radiant in 2004, and will never forget wandering around Mos Eisley in awe... Not having a clue what to do, but spend ages target practicing on womp rats just outside the walls.

It was a player named Oskie, that approached me while I was coming back from a Tusken Raider kill mission, that offered to help me out, so much as to get a party together from his guild and take me Bol hunting...

If anyone remembers Bol grinding, I salute you. Fastest way to level back then, and it was still utter torture gaining a pip at high levels.

4. #94 Re: *Star Wars Galaxies Memories* 
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too many memories to name...I was on the Eclipse server, and I can't recall what year I first began playing, but I played through to the end. I lived in the town called NorthShire Sanctuary on Corellia. I remember grinding through various professions trying to uncover force sensitivity...Doctor, Teras Kasi, Pistoleer, I'm sure there were others. I didn't take nearly enough screen shots to memorialize my time in SWG, but here's one.
    lieutenant for the last time.jpg

5. #95 Re: *Star Wars Galaxies Memories* 
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty of memories.... way too many to list but one definitely sticks out. I was on Corbantis and had my eye set on getting a Rancor pet. If you remember you had to find a young one and tame it. So a guild buddy and me st out to Darthomir to get the Rancor. We finally found a young one that would be tame able. Our problem was that there were about 4 big guys standing around and there was no way the two of us could take on all of them. So we finally came up with a plan: My buddy got on his swoop and aggroed the rancors and rode in a circle kiting the rancors while I snuck up and tamed the rancor. I did actually get it but there was so much laughing involved we had tears in our eyes.
    Just one of the many things that made and makes SWG such a great game.

6. #96 Re: *Star Wars Galaxies Memories* 
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope this isn't considered a thread necro...

The first couple months after launch were really special for me - I had a month-long paid sabbatical from work that summer and spent it playing SWG. This is why I don't PUG with strangers:

I was running terminal missions with my RL friends one evening on Kauri and we came across some kid named Gilbey up in the hills of Tatooine who seemed to be having trouble with a lair. He clearly didn't know how to tap a lair or pull creatures and was getting incapped. My ever-helpful buddy Tom (Kroxxigorr) decides we should group the kid, even though he cons way below us. I had reservations, pointing out that he was not going to be much help on our missions and we'd be splitting our pay. But we invited him nonetheless.

So our next job was a Mountain Dewback lair - we tried to tell him "OK, we are only going to shoot the lair until it makes a bang and smoke comes out, then cease fire. Wait until they spawn. Don't shoot the babies or the adults will attack. If an adult gets close, it will pump-fake you but don't panic. they will back off the charge." We figure if we do it right, it'll be routine and the kid will get way more XP and cash then he could on his own.

Well, he followed none of the advice. He panicked when one charged us and aggro'd the entire lair. He got us all killed. A couple of my friends kept him along for some more missions but I had better things to do than get killed over and over so I left.

Next morning I go into the hospital in Eisley and who's sitting on a bed but Gilbey, black-barred into oblivion. "Oh, there you are," he says "You guys weren't much help last night." I couldn't believe the audacity. So I said "That's because you got us all killed!"

Since then, I've been gun-shy about PUGs, preferring to group with guildmates and friends only. But there were a lot of fun times and memories that summer, and I'm looking forward to making more!
    Can-tank'r'us Ordo - Grumpy Old Commando-lorian.
    Tarkuss Kudasai - Zabrak Bounty Hunter/Imperial Pilot.
    "I am Heavy Weapons Guy, and this... is my weapon. She weighs one hundred fifty kilograms and fires two hundred credit, custom-tooled cartridges at ten thousand rounds per minute. It costs four hundred thousand credits to fire this weapon... for twelve seconds."

7. #97 Re: *Star Wars Galaxies Memories* 
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first memory is the first time I logged in and I remember absolutely having my mind blown that I could play an online open-world Star Wars game that had vehicles you could drive (oh how times have changed lol). One of my strongest memories is so bitter sweet as it was our final moments before the servers shut down. We got together and were hanging out in the city hall until we decided that we didn't want to go down just sitting around moping so with only a few minutes left we went and stormed DWB one last time. My character died hiding under his Mutant Acklay pet trying to avoid the end. Most of our last moments were recorded and uploaded so occasionally when I'm feeling masochistic/nostalgic I like to watch it. Another standout was that from time to time on slower nights our guild would separate into groups and have each team start duels with each enemy then go to opposite ends and have a battle over our own city.

I've met countless wonderful people through SWG over the many years, quite a few of which I'm in regular touch with. I even got to meet up with a group of guildies at Celebration which was great. SWG also led me to my current group of friends I talk to/play games with on a daily basis that I got to meet for the first time a few years ago (they're Texans and I'm Canadian). After years of talking to them every day I eventually said screw it and flew down and crashed on my friend's couch/floor of his apartment for a week then did it again a year later with plans to go again when I can afford it.

All in all its been a helluva ride that I plan on continuing until there literally are no servers left for me to go to.
    Guefiii Steewobly - Medic/BM Extraordinaire
    Koodeedrap Steewobly - Crafting Hermit
    Wiratoy Steewobly - Definitely Not a Smuggler
    Mierkov Pokrovsky - Officer Nasty

8. #98 Re: *15 Years Of Memories* 
    Player
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I joined SWG early on and it was my first ever MMO after playing so many linear games. I created an account, made my first toon and logged in on Farstar in the City of Kaadara on Naboo.
    I wandered around for a bit, looked at a few things and had no idea what I was supposed to do so after about 30 minutes I logged out again. Had I just wasted money on a new game that I didn't know how to play?
    A few days later I logged in again and wandered around a bit more and looked at a few more things with no idea what to do.... and then suddenly it dawned on me... There was no set path like I was accustomed to in games...... I could do what ever I wanted to do, and at my own pace, and from that moment on I was hooked.
    It is still IMO then best MMO that I have ever played and I am pleased to be back and long may it continue.

Thank you to everyone involved.