Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
  1. #61 Re: Development Update: Online Player Limit 
    Community Guide
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlogo View Post
    Not sure you get it Civic. Just because you are a non-profit organization does not mean you can't take in revenue. Very basic stuff here, non-profit simply means that your revenues can not be greater than you expenses. Which means that revenues=or less than expenses can still qualify as a non-profit. Don't you think the XYZ church (substitute church of any denomination) who is listed as a non-profit organization takes in money? You can take in revenue as long as you spend said revenue on expenses incurred for the organization, you are considered a non-profit organization. So thus, being funded through various means is not a problem as long as they spend all that they take in. So if they had a crowd fund (which I would definitely contribute too) to hire a pro to fix memory leak, they would be fine as long as they only raised as much money as the pro charged.
    I think the issue is more so in the fact we are using code that was made by SOE and leaked and we are also using someone else's game. \_(ツ)_/

2. #62 Re: Development Update: Online Player Limit 
    Senior Player

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure you get it Civic. Just because you are a non-profit organization does not mean you can't take in revenue. Very basic stuff here, non-profit simply means that your revenues can not be greater than you expenses. Which means that revenues=or less than expenses can still qualify as a non-profit. Don't you think the XYZ church (substitute church of any denomination) who is listed as a non-profit organization takes in money? You can take in revenue as long as you spend said revenue on expenses incurred for the organization, you are considered a non-profit organization. So thus, being funded through various means is not a problem as long as they spend all that they take in. So if they had a crowd fund (which I would definitely contribute too) to hire a pro to fix memory leak, they would be fine as long as they only raised as much money as the pro charged.
    Forget the not-for-profit part of it, it's basically irrelevant because the organization cannot pay someone else that is outside of said organization. SOMEONE will be making money from the emulator, which is illegal. End of. You can't argue that. Disney will snatch it up.

There are 2 problems here.
    The not-for-profit problem and the other guy getting paid. They won't do it, nor should they.

Too many people in this community think they are lawyers or something man it's so funny.

IF anything, people should let this drop now, unless you wanna increase the search values of 'payments' and 'NFP organizations' to drag attention to this project.
    Put down your tiny little e-peens and let it go. It ain't happening and talking about it won't change a thing.

3. #63 Re: Development Update: Online Player Limit 
    Senior Player

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiekid View Post
    I think the issue is more so in the fact we are using code that was made by SOE and leaked and we are also using someone else's game. \_(ツ)_/
    At least you're smart enough to get it! lol

4. #64 Re: Development Update: Online Player Limit 
    Community Contributor

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiekid View Post
    I think you are right on target zombiekid. Where the code may or may not have come from is the issue. Being a "non-profit organization" is not. Almost all emulators have expenses outside of their organization (server cost, maintenance, bandwidth, etc...) and can still function as such.
    Civic you make me laugh :)

5. #65 Re: Development Update: Online Player Limit 
    Community Guide
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are right on target zombiekid. Where the code may or may not have come from is the issue. Being a "non-profit organization" is not. Almost all emulators have expenses outside of their organization (server cost, maintenance, bandwidth, etc...) and can still function as such.
    Civic you make me laugh :)
    �� I'm not going to pretend I know laws pertaining to non-profits and "hiring" outside help, but I mean we kinda are already doing questionable things and don't think we need to complicate things further.

6. #66 Re: Development Update: Online Player Limit 
    Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might be talking out of my rear end, but I think crowdfunding for a pro can't be done. If we were to try and get a pro to fix the memory leak, Sony would issue a formal letter giving the administrator the choice of either shut down their project or be sued, which Sony being the license holder would probably win.

7. #67 Re: Development Update: Online Player Limit 
    Community Guide
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbane View Post
    I might be talking out of my rear end, but I think crowdfunding for a pro can't be done. If we were to try and get a pro to fix the memory leak, Sony would issue a formal letter giving the administrator the choice of either shut down their project or be sued, which Sony being the license holder would probably win.
    Daybreak* SOE is dead

8. #68 Re: Development Update: Online Player Limit 
    Database Administrator

Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to allay peoples fears we will not be reducing the number of toons online to 1.

9. #69 Re: Development Update: Online Player Limit 
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daslo View Post
    Just to allay peoples fears we will not be reducing the number of toons online to 1.
    Thank you, @Daslo . Your reassurance is appreciated. :)

10. #70 Re: Development Update: Online Player Limit 
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daslo View Post
    Your candid response is appreciated!
    The Force is what gives a Jedi "her" power
    It's an energy field created by all living things
    It surrounds us and penetrates us
    It binds our galaxy together